Local News

A child is dead in Bethany after a house fire on Friday. According to the Bethany Fire Protection District, on Friday, the Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire in Bethany with reports of injury. Upon arrival, assistance was requested from the Sullivan Fire Protection District. Nearly 20 firefighters battled the blaze at 302 North Elm Street in Bethany. 

 

Firefighters were informed there was a child napping in a bedroom when the house caught fire. When the child was brought outside, CPR was performed, but the patient was in full arrest.  5-year-old Alaina Nicole Jarnigan was pronounced dead on Friday afternoon at St. Mary’s Hospital at 3:02 PM. 

 

The McLean County Coroner’s Office performed the autopsy and after it was completed, it was revealed that the cause of death was carbon monoxide intoxication due to the smoke from the fire. There was no indication of traumatic injury, no evidence of foul play, and no non-fire related injury to the child. The Moultrie County Sheriff’s Office and the Illinois State Fire Marshal are still investigating this incident and an inquest is pending.

Townhall Top of the Hour News
 
SRN News
Main Office:
217-824-3395