Monday started off as a normal day for Taylorville Post Office Mail Carrier, Eric Martin. Until an unexpected occurrence happened at a residence he delivers mail to at 1010 East Adams that afternoon. Martin told Regional Radio News he heard a buzzing sound and saw sparks coming from an exposed live electrical cord on a porch. That’s when he called the Taylorville Fire Department.
Firemen received the call then responded to the scene around 2:30. Captain Ron Smith of the Taylorville Fire Department described the call and noted it was a fire and shock hazard.
Smith reminds residents that an extension cord should be used temporarily, not permanently, as they can get hot. Like all mail carriers, Martin says they have to represent the Postal Service in a positive light, and keep an eye on the neighborhoods they deliver to.
Taylorville Assistant Fire Chief Andy Goodall and Taylorville Post Office Supervisor Keith Vickers commended Martin for being observant and alert by preventing a house fire from happening.