Here's some history of WEIC from the Howard Taylor web site "learningabe.info":
Jack Owens and his family from Charleston, built WEIC and put it on the air on December 12, 1954. Owens took a settlement from being injured working on the railroad, and built WEIC.
The station was built in a former tavern on what used to be Illinois Route 16 on Charleston's west side.
Norman Strader was one of the first announcers and the engineer for WEIC in the 1950's.
Louise Lynch Taylor was news director for WEIC 3 different times in the 50's and 60's.
Below is a WEIC bumper sticker when the station when full-time in 1972, courtesy of radiostickeroftheday.blogspot.com:
Below is the WEIC music survey on July 22, 1972, courtesy of www.las-solanas.com, contributed to that web site by Gary Pfeifer March 2004:
Below is the WEIC music survey on August 10, 1974, courtesy of www.las-solanas.com, contributed to that web site by Gary Pfeifer in 2014:
WEIC had a southern gospel format from 1996 thru 2011. Here's a bumper sticker from those years:
Wayne R. Miller, owner of Peoria Network Associates in Peoria, was a disc jockey at WEIC while in college at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, in the early 1970's. Over 40 years later, he was back to re-build WEIC 1270's signal, including putting the original 1954 transmitter he broadcast from, on the air in October 2011. Here's a link to ashort youtube.com video of his working on the 1954 Gates transmitter: