National News

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — The father and son jailed on murder charges in the slaying of Ahmaud Arbery are asking a Georgia judge to grant them bond and to throw out two charges in their indictment.

Gregory McMichael and his adult son, Travis McMichael, were jailed and arrested in May, more than two months after Arbery was slain. The 25-year-old Black man was chased and fatally shot after the McMichaels, who are white, spotted him running in their neighborhood just outside the port city of Brunswick.

Attorneys for both men filed legal motions Thursday asking Superior Court Judge Timothy Walmsley to set a bond that would allow the McMichaels to be freed pending trial. The judge denied bond last month for William “Roddie” Bryan Jr., a third man charged in Arbery's killing.

Attorneys for 34-year-old Travis McMichael argued he has no prior criminal history and poses no risk of fleeing.

“He does not have passport, and most importantly, his family, including his parents and three-year-old son, are here in Georgia,” attorneys Robert Rubin and Jason Sheffield wrote.

Attorneys for Gregory McMichael, 64, asked for a court hearing on his bond request. No date has been set.

Right after the Feb. 23 shooting, Gregory McMichael told police he and his son armed themselves with guns and got in a pickup truck to chase after Arbery, suspecting he was a burglar. They weren't arrested until the Georgia Bureau of Investigation took over the case and cellphone video of the shooting leaked online.

In June, a grand jury indicted both McMichaels and Bryan on charges of malice murder, felony murder, aggravated assault, false imprisonment and criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment.

The McMichaels' defense attorneys argued in a court motion Thursday that the judge should reject the indictment's malice murder charge, saying it was written in a way that improperly “charges two crimes in one count.” They made a similar argument for tossing out the charge of criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment.

A separate legal motion by Bryan's attorney, Kevin Gough, argues that all three defendants should be immune from prosecution, saying Travis McMichael legally fired his shotgun in self-defense when Arbery attacked him with his fists.

GBI agent Richard Dial rejected that argument at a court hearing in June, saying it was Arbery who was trying to defend himself when Travis McMichael confronted him with a shotgun.


RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Jerry Falwell Jr. took an indefinite leave of absence Friday as the leader of Liberty University, one of the nation's top evangelical Christian colleges, days after apologizing for a social media post that caused an uproar even among fellow conservatives.

The private university in Lynchburg, Virginia, gave no reason for Falwell's departure in a one-sentence announcement Friday afternoon. But it came after Falwell's apology earlier this week for a since-deleted photo he posted online showing him with his pants unzipped, stomach exposed and his arm around a young woman in a similar pose.

The statement said the executive committee of Liberty's board of trustees, acting on behalf of the full board, met Friday and requested Falwell take leave as president and chancellor, “to which he has agreed, effective immediately.”

A high-profile supporter of President Donald Trump, Falwell has served since 2007 as president of the university founded by his evangelist father, the late Rev. Jerry Falwell.

He did not immediately return a call seeking comment. University spokesman Scott Lamb said he had no further comment.

In an interview this week with Lynchburg radio station WLNI, Falwell said the woman in the photo was his wife's assistant and that the picture was taken during a “costume party” while on vacation.

“Lots of good friends visited us on the yacht,” the caption of the photo said, in part. “I promise that's just black water in my glass. It was a prop only.”

He said the woman — who also had her midriff exposed — was pregnant, couldn't get her pants zipped and he imitated her, saying it was all in “good fun.”

“I’ve apologized to everybody, and I've promised my kids ... I'm going to try to be a good boy from here on out," he told the interviewer.

On Thursday, Republican U.S. Rep. Mark Walker of North Carolina, a pastor who previously taught at Liberty, called Falwell’s behavior “appalling” and said he should resign.

Besides Walker, some pastors who graduated from Liberty spoke out this week calling for a change in leadership at the school. Mark Davis, a Texas-based pastor, tweeted that “the name of Christ and the reputation of Liberty will continue to be dishonored” without action against Falwell by the board. Colby Garman, a pastor who has served on the executive board of the Southern Baptist Convention of Virginia, tweeted Monday that it was “bewildering” to see Falwell maintain the board's support. He responded to Friday’s news with appreciation.

“How is this Jerry Falwell Jr. photo even real?” tweeted conservative TV personality Meghan McCain, daughter of the late U.S. Sen. John McCain. “Also if you’re running the largest Christian university in America maybe don’t put photos of yourself on social media with your pants undone on a yacht — with random women in bad wigs. So gross, so hypocritical.”

The late Falwell founded Liberty in 1971 with just 154 students. Under the leadership of Falwell Jr., who is an attorney and not a minister, Liberty has grown into a leading evangelical university, with an immaculate campus and a significant endowment. Students must follow a strict code of conduct that includes modest dress and a ban on alcohol consumption.

In recent years, Liberty has served as a regular speaking spot for ambitious Republicans courting the young evangelical vote. U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz kicked off a presidential campaign there in 2015.

Falwell was among the earliest Christian conservatives to endorse Trump’s previous election campaign. In late 2016 he told The Associated Press that Trump had offered him the job of education secretary but that he turned it down for personal reasons.

The vacation photo was the most recent in a string of controversies dogging Falwell in recent years, in both his role at Liberty and his personal life.

Last year, he settled a federal lawsuit in Florida over a real estate venture that involved a young Miami pool attendant, a case that drew national attention.

He more recently sparred with Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam and local officials in Lynchburg over his handling of coronavirus restrictions. He also faced stinging criticism from a group of Black alumni who said in a letter that he should step down after he mocked Virginia’s mask-wearing requirement in a tweet by invoking a blackface scandal that engulfed Northam last year. Several Black Liberty staff members resigned following the tweet, and several high-profile Black student-athletes announced transfer plans.

On Friday, Pastors Chris Williamson, Eric Carroll, and Maina Mwaura, who organized the June letter, issued a statement applauding the board's decision.

“Liberty University deeply impacted us as students and we hope that its leadership can return to a focus of training ‘young champions for Christ’ with Biblical conviction for the Gospel and justice,” the statement said.


Associated Press writers Alan Suderman and Elana Schor contributed to this report.


PHOENIX (AP) — More victims of a man accused of luring homeless women with the promise of food and shelter only to sexually assault them have been identified, Phoenix police said Friday.

Authorities said 51-year-old Robert Incorvaia is facing more charges a week after Maricopa County sheriff's deputies arrested him for three counts of sexual assault and four counts of kidnapping.

Incorvaia has been re-booked on 10 counts of sexual assault and six counts of aggravated assault, Sgt. Tommy Thompson said. Other charges include one count each of kidnapping, assault and threatening or intimidating.

It was unclear Friday if Incorvaia had an attorney to comment on his behalf.

Incorvaia allegedly would look for homeless women in the same 1-square-mile area of northwest Phoenix. He would gain their trust by offering a shower and food.

Sheriff’s officials said Incorvaia would take the women in his car to a home near New River and sexually and physically assault them.

The victims were sometimes restrained or tied to a chair, court records show.

Sheriff’s detectives served search warrants on two residences associated with Incorvaia before his July 31 arrest. His vehicle has been seized.

Thompson said the suspect's method of operation matches three open cases in Phoenix dating back to 2017. One case involved a woman. In the other two, teenage girls were the victims. But the three were victimized at locations within the city.

Phoenix police are asking anyone with information about the suspect or similar incidents to contact the department. Other metro Phoenix police agencies are also reviewing cases that might have been committed by the suspect.


NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A man caught with stolen hedge clippers decades ago must continue to serve his life sentence, despite a stinging dissent from the chief justice of Louisiana’s Supreme Court, who said the sentence was the result of laws rooted in racism.

Justice Bernette Johnson, the only Black person on the seven-member court, outlined the case against Fair Wayne Bryant in a dissent after her colleagues, without comment, declined to review the latest appeal in the 1997 burglary case.

Bryant does have another chance at freedom. He has applied for parole and members of the state's parole committee could decide next week whether to grant him a hearing.

But Johnson said the sentence itself was “excessive and disproportionate” and should have been reconsidered by the state's highest court.

Bryant, who is Black, was sentenced as a habitual offender after three previous convictions. According to court records, there was a 1979 attempted armed robbery conviction — a crime classified as violent under Louisiana — and three subsequent non-violent crimes: possession of stolen things in 1987, attempted forgery of a $150 check in 1989; and simple burglary in 1992.

In November, a state appellate court held that the sentence was in accordance with the habitual offender law and after an initial appeal failed, no longer subject to review. Johnson said the sentence was so out of proportion to the crime as to be clearly unconstitutional.

“Such petty theft is frequently driven by the ravages of poverty or addiction, and often both," Johnson wrote. “It is cruel and unusual to impose a sentence of life in prison at hard labor for the criminal behavior which is most often caused by poverty or addiction.”

She went on in her two-page dissent to give a brief history of laws passed after the Civil War to make it easier to convict former slaves and their descendants for minor crimes and sentence them harshly, an attempt, she said, to “re-enslave African Americans.”

Johnson called severe habitual offender sentences a “modern manifestation” of such laws.

In addition to being unfair, Johnson wrote, they are costly to the state. “Since his conviction in 1997, Mr. Bryant’s incarceration has cost Louisiana taxpayers approximately $518,667,” she wrote. “Arrested at 38, Mr. Bryant has already spent nearly 23 years in prison and is now over 60 years old. If he lives another 20 years, Louisiana taxpayers will have paid almost one million dollars to punish Mr. Bryant for his failed effort to steal a set of hedge clippers.”

While the lower appeals court declined to review the sentence, it did hold in an earlier ruling, in 2018, that Bryant had been illegally denied parole eligibility. An attorney who handled Bryant's appeal for the Louisiana Appellate Project did not immediately respond to an emailed query. But Francis Abbott, executive director of the Louisiana Committee on Parole, said in an email that Bryant applied for parole on July 21. He said panel members are to review his case next week and decide whether to grant a hearing.

The district attorney's office in Caddo Parish in northwest Louisiana, where the case originated, declined comment Friday.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana, reacting to Johnson's dissent, issued a news release Thursday in which it reiterated its call for the repeal of laws holding life sentences for what the organization called minor offenses. The ACLU also called on district attorneys to stop seeking such penalties.


LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — First, Oprah Winfrey put Breonna Taylor on the cover of O, The Oprah Magazine. Now the media mogul is spreading her message with billboards demanding justice for the Kentucky woman shot to death during a police raid.

Twenty-six billboards displaying a portrait of Taylor are going up across Louisville, Kentucky, demanding that the police officers involved in her death be arrested and charged, according to social justice organization Until Freedom. That's one billboard for every year of the Black woman's life.

The billboards, funded by the magazine, showcase the magazine cover dedicated to Taylor, the Courier Journal reported. Also displayed is a quote from Winfrey: “If you turn a blind eye to racism, you become an accomplice to it.”

Until Freedom thanked the Oprah magazine for its work on the billboards.

“Together, we will make sure no one forgets #BreonnaTaylor’s name and recommit to the fight for justice for her and her family," the group said in a tweet.

Taylor, an emergency medical tech studying to become a nurse, was shot multiple times March 13 when police officers burst into her Louisville apartment using a no-knock warrant during a narcotics investigation. The warrant to search her home was in connection with a suspect who did not live there and no drugs were found.

Kenneth Walker, Taylor’s boyfriend, was originally charged with attempted murder after he fired a shot at one of the officers who came into the home. Walker has said he didn’t know who was entering the apartment and was firing a warning shot. The charge was later dropped.

Global protests on behalf of Taylor, George Floyd in Minnesota and others have been part of a national reckoning over racism and police brutality. Tensions have swelled in Taylor's hometown and beyond as activists, professional athletes and social media stars push for action while investigators plead for more patience.

The decision whether to bring state-level criminal charges against the Louisville officers rests with Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron. He took the Taylor case after a local prosecutor recused himself from reviewing the matter. One of the officers has been terminated and two other officers are on administrative reassignment.

Cameron, the first African American elected to the attorney general's job in Kentucky, has declined to put a timetable on his decision since taking over the case in May.

“We remain committed to an independent and thorough investigation into the death of Ms. Breonna Taylor,” Cameron said Friday on his official Twitter account.

“The investigation remains ongoing, and we currently await additional testing and analysis from federal partners, including a ballistics test from the FBI crime lab,” the tweet said.

The FBI field office in Louisville said Friday that a “significant amount of ballistic evidence" was collected when investigators returned to Taylor's apartment in June.

“This evidence is being tested and analyzed at the FBI Laboratory in Quantico, Virginia," the FBI's Louisville office said in a statement. “Once the FBI Laboratory has completed its findings, FBI Louisville will promptly share our results with the attorney general’s office."

Christopher 2X, an anti-violence activist in Louisville, told reporters this week that he's encouraged by the commitment that FBI officials locally and nationally have shown to the case. He commented after participating in a meeting at the FBI's Louisville office.


DENVER (AP) — A man who escaped from a Colorado prison in 1974 was found living under an alias in a small town in northern New Mexico after the Denver police officer he shot decades ago helped track him down, authorities said.

Luis Archuleta, 77, also known as Larry Pusateri, was arrested Wednesday in Espanola, New Mexico, where he had been living under the name Ramon Montoya for about 40 years, the FBI said in a statement.

Archuleta was accused in 1971 of shooting Denver police officer Daril Cinquanta, who had pulled over Archuleta to check his ID, KMGH-TV reported.

When Cinquanta tried to check for weapons, the two fought and Cinquanta was shot in the stomach, KMGH-TV said.

A jury in 1973 convicted Archuleta of assault with a deadly weapon.

Cinquanta, who since retired and started his own private investigation company, never stopped making phone calls and knocking on doors in hopes of tracking down Archuleta, KUSA-TV reported.

His search paid off when a tipster called.

"I get a phone call from an individual and this person says, ‘I’ve thought about it, and I’m gonna tell you where the guy is who shot you,’ and of course I was skeptical,” Cinquanta said. “Forty-six years later, and out of the clear blue I get a phone call. Well, this person gives me his address and his alias ... and other facts that meant nothing at the time.”

A federal court in Colorado issued a new arrest warrant involving the prison escape and Archuleta was arrested in the small town about 20 miles (32 kilometers) north of Santa Fe.

He is being represented by the Office of the Federal Public Defender, which did not immediately respond Friday to a phone message seeking comment on Archuleta's behalf

Michael Schneider, the FBI Special Agent in Denver, said the "arrest should send a clear signal to violent offenders everywhere: The FBI will find you, no matter how long it takes or how far you run, and we will bring you to justice.”

Cinquanta hopes to visit Archuleta when he is back in custody in Colorado.

“I would love to sit down and talk to him,” Cinquanta said. “He may or may not talk to me. Who knows?”


TULSA, Okla. (AP) — Two Tulsa children whose bodies were found in waterways in May accidentally drowned, the Oklahoma medical examiner's office ruled Friday.

Autopsy reports say both 3-year-old Miracle Crook and her 21-month-old brother, Tony Crook, drowned after being last seen on video holding hands and walking through an opening in a chain-link fence toward a rain-swollen creek that flows into the Arkansas River.

Miracle’s body was found in the river while Tony’s body was found in the creek.

Their mother, Donisha Willis, 24, was arrested at the time on charges of child neglect and assaulting a police officer.

The neglect charges have since been upgraded to second-degree murder, and Willis has pleaded not guilty. She remains jailed on $500,000 bond, according to jail records.

Police have said Willis, who did not have custody of the children, broke into an apartment where the children were with a caretaker. The caretaker left the apartment and later returned with the legal guardian to find Willis passed out on a couch and the children missing.


CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) — In a story Aug. 6, 2020, about efforts to remove mountain goats from Grand Teton National Park, The Associated Press misspelled the last name of the acting park superintendent. It is Noojibail, not Noojidail.


MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Black drivers accounted for nearly 80% of police searches and routine traffic stops in predominantly white Minneapolis, according to a public defender's study using city policy data.

From June 2019 to May 2020, the study found Black and East African drivers were more often searched when pulled over during equipment or moving violations with 26% of those searches resulting in arrest, the Star Tribune reported.

"The numbers speak to the volume of Black and brown drivers that are being harassed by police,” said Hennepin County Public Defender Jay Wong.

After the killing of George Floyd, a Black man who died in Minneapolis after a white officer pressed his knee into his neck for several minutes, Wong compiled and analyzed one year of traffic data and race in Minneapolis. His goal was to quantify a metric of racial inequality in Minneapolis policing, which his office has witnessed anecdotally for years, he said.

"Of course they feel racially profiled, and many of them are angry about that,” Wong said. “Some clients even feel targeted by specific officers. They know the officers’ names because they get stopped by them over and over.”

Mary Moriarty, chief public defender in Hennepin County, said the higher rate of searches among drivers of color in Minneapolis is “pretext stops” — stops in which officers use a minor traffic offense as an opening to investigate a driver for contraband or other crimes.

She said her goal is to end pretext stops and consent search, where drivers are likely to consent to a search out of pressure, even though they’re legally allowed to say no.

“Even if drivers are ultimately released without a citation there are dramatic consequences in terms of building trusting relationships with the community and putting a Black driver through this experience,” Moriarty said.

City Council member Steve Fletcher, vice chairman of the Committee on Public Safety, says the data is troubling and raises larger questions about how police treat people of color in other interactions.

Since the killing of Floyd, however, Minneapolis police have dramatically slowed down traffic enforcement, according to the data. Total stops were down about 50% in June and nearly 60% in July compared with last year.


PHOENIX (AP) — An incomplete tunnel found stretching from Arizona to Mexico appears to be “the most sophisticated tunnel in U.S. history," authorities said.

The tunnel intended for smuggling ran from San Luis, Arizona, to a Mexican neighborhood and had a ventilation system, water lines, electrical wiring, a rail system and extensive reinforcement, federal officials said Thursday.

“This appears to be the most sophisticated tunnel in U.S. history, and certainly the most sophisticated I’ve seen in my career,” said Carl E. Landrum, acting chief patrol agent with the Border Patrol's Yuma Sector.

Homeland Security Investigations found the tunnel in late July. A camera was sent 25 feet (7.6 meters) underground after federal agents discovered a sinkhole in the area of a tunnel investigation, authorities said.

Photos show the tunnel measured 3 feet (about 1 meter) wide and 4 feet (1.2 meters) high, according to a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement news release.


WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) — Demonstrators held a vigil in North Carolina to demand justice for a Black man who died days after his arrest following the release of body camera videos that showed the man struggling with guards and yelling he couldn’t breathe as they restrained him.

More than 70 participants used their phones as flashlights and sang songs during the vigil for John Neville in Winston-Salem Wednesday night, the Winston-Salem Journal reported.

Neville's son, Tremaine Stubbs, spoke to the crowd about parts of the footage released on Wednesday that showed Neville calling for this mother. “There is no reason that a grown man should be calling for his mama when she is no longer with us,” Stubbs said. “I can’t breathe man," he added. "My daddy is gone for no reason.”

His father died at a hospital of a brain injury on Dec. 4, three days after his arrest on a warrant accusing him of assaulting a woman. The struggle with the guards happened while he was booked in Forsyth County jail. Five former jail officers and a nurse were charged last month with involuntary manslaughter in his death.

“White supremacy continues to have its way in this city, in this state, in this country and in this world,” Terrance Hawkins, an activist in the city, said. “We want justice, and we want it now.”

Hawkins said he was disturbed it took the Forsyth County District Attorney’s Office months to bring charges in Neville’s death and to release the jail video. A Black Lives Matter chapter in the city had called for the video’s release for months, but Neville’s family opposed making the footage public until last week.

The group apologized to the family last week for not respecting their initial wishes.


JULY 31-AUG. 6, 2020

This photo gallery highlights some of the most compelling images made or published by Associated Press photographers in Latin America and the Caribbean. It was curated by AP photo editor Anita Baca in Mexico City.

Follow AP visual journalism:


AP Images on Twitter:

AP Images blog: http://apimagesblog.com8


MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — An attorney for a fired Minneapolis police officer charged in the death of George Floyd wants the local prosecutor dropped from the case.

The attorney for former Officer J. Kueng filed a motion Thursday arguing that Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman, the county's top prosecutor, has “compromised his ethics” and ability “to impartially prosecute” the case.

Kueng is one of four officers charged in the May 25 death of Floyd, a handcuffed Black man who died after Officer Derek Chauvin, who is white, pressed his knee against Floyd’s neck for nearly eight minutes even as Floyd pleaded for air. Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and manslaughter. Kueng and two other officers, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao, are charged with aiding and abetting. All four were fired.

In his motion, defense attorney Thomas Plunkett said Freeman has called Floyd's death a “senseless death” and that Freeman said a bystander's video of the incident “is graphic, and horrible and terrible, and no person should do that.”

“Mr. Freeman's comments leave no doubt that justice is not his objective in the Kueng prosecution,” Plunkett wrote. “He has abdicated his duties as a prosecutor and must be removed from the case.”

Plunkett also accused Freeman's office of leaking information about potential plea negotiations. “(The Hennepin County Attorney's Office) knew the leaked plea negotiations would be widely reported and have a significant impact on the local community, potential jurors, and the nation,” Plunkett wrote.

A spokeswoman for Freeman's office told The Associated Press that his office is not commenting on the case. Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison's office is the lead prosecutor in the case.

The next court hearing for the four former officers is scheduled for Sept. 11.


PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) — A 9-year-old Florida boy is being hailed a hero for pulling his father from the water after the man fractured his neck in a diving accident.

Young Asaih Williams said he always plays a game in his head when he's diving with someone. If the other person doesn't emerge from the water in a set amount of time, then the boy goes in after him.

He's never had any formal swimming or lifeguard training. It's just something he does. It ended up saving his dad's life over the weekend.

The family of five was at Quietwater Beach on Saturday enjoying a day outdoors. Shortly after sunset, the boy convinced his dad Josh to take one last jump from a dock into the Santa Rosa Sound, which turned out to be much more shallow than expected.

“All I remember was that he said he broke his neck and he said he was scared,” Asaih told the Pensacola News Journal.

His dad emerged on his stomach, unable to turn over. Despite a 100-pound (45-kilogram) weight difference between the two, Asaih channeled superhuman strength, and turned his dad over to prevent him from drowning.

He then slowly, agonizingly, tugged his dad to shore until bystanders came alongside them.

Audrey Williams was further away onshore with the other children, including her 1-year-old daughter.

“Asaih saw that daddy wasn’t coming up as quickly as he should have and he knew something was wrong,” Audrey said. “He flipped him over, because Josh was on his stomach. Asaih flipped him over because he couldn’t move.”

Josh Williams was transported to the hospital with a fractured neck and underwent fusion surgery Monday.

The newspaper reported the man's injuries aren't expected to be life-altering and he won't require a wheelchair, but he's still trying to regain feeling in his arms and legs.

"He’s progressing pretty fast. He lifted his head and sat up in a chair (Tuesday),” his wife said.


NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — A North Carolina man has pleaded guilty to threatening to burn down a Black church in Virginia days after one of the church’s leaders took part in a vigil for George Floyd, a Black man who died in police custody in Minnesota.

John Malcolm Bareswill, 63, entered the plea Wednesday, nearly two months after he was arrested on charges related to his alleged threat, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia said in a news release.

Authorities said Bareswill, who lived in Catawba, North Carolina, also made racist remarks when he called the Baptist church in Virginia Beach to make the threats in June. He could be sentenced to up to 10 years in prison during his hearing in November, the release said.

Floyd died on May 25 after a white Minneapolis police officer pressed his knee on Floyd's neck for several minutes as he pleaded for air. His death sparked global demonstrations against racism and police brutality.

It is not immediately clear if Bareswill had a lawyer who could comment on his behalf.


WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) — Demonstrators held a vigil in North Carolina to demand justice for a Black man who died days after his arrest following the release of body camera videos that showed the man struggling with guards and yelling he couldn’t breathe as they restrained him.

More than 70 participants used their phones as flashlights and sang songs during the vigil for John Neville in Winston-Salem Wednesday night, the Winston-Salem Journal reported.

Neville's son, Tremaine Stubbs, spoke to the crowd about parts of the footage released on Wednesday that showed Neville, calling for this mother. “There is no reason that a grown man should be calling for his mama when she is no longer with us,” Stubbs said. “I can’t breathe man," he added. "My daddy is gone for no reason.”

His father died at a hospital of a brain injury on Dec. 4, three days after his arrest on a warrant accusing him of assaulting a woman. The struggle with the guards happened while he was booked in Forsyth County jail. Five former jail officers and a nurse were charged last month with involuntary manslaughter in his death.

“White supremacy continues to have its way in this city, in this state, in this country and in this world,” Terrance Hawkins, an activist in the city, said. “We want justice, and we want it now.”

Hawkins said he was disturbed it took the Forsyth County District Attorney’s Office months to bring charges in Neville’s death and to release the jail video. A Black Lives Matter chapter in the city had called for the video’s release for months, but Neville’s family opposed making the footage public until last week.

The group apologized to the family last week for not respecting their initial wishes.


One person died and five others are missing after their boats capsized in floodwaters in South Korea on Thursday following incessant torrential rains, officials said.

One of the boats was stuck in a wire near a dam in Chuncheon, just northeast of Seoul. Two other boats rushed to help but all three were overturned, according to the Ministry of the Interior and Safety.

A total of eight people were aboard the three boats, one of them a police boat. One person was declared dead at a hospital, two were rescued and five others are unaccounted for, fire officials said.

Also Thursday, the state-run Han River Flood Control Office issued a flood alert near a key river bridge in Seoul, the first such advisory since 2011.

Agency officials said parts of highways along the river have been closed and many riverside public parks flooded. The rainfall stopped near the Han River bridge on Thursday afternoon but the flood alert remains in effect, according to the agency.

Much of South Korea have been hit by days of heavy rains since Saturday.

Earlier Thursday, the safety ministry said in a report that 16 people died and 11 others were listed as missing in landslides, floods and other incidents. It said the figures didn’t include those involved in the Chuncheon dam incident.


SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A group of University of Utah police officers made inappropriate comments about explicit photos of a student who had submitted the pictures as evidence in an extortion case shortly before her shooting death, an investigation found Wednesday.

Utah's Department of Public Safety opened an investigation after the Salt Lake Tribune unearthed allegations that an officer had shown off the images of 21-year-old track athlete Lauren McCluskey before her 2018 slaying.

Her shooting death at the hands of a man she had briefly dated has roiled the institution and raised serious questions about how it handled her repeated reports that the man was harassing her before her death, including extorting her with the images she had sent him when they were involved.

University officials have acknowledged mistakes and made changes to policies and procedures. But they maintained that there's no evidence her death could have been prevented.

An attorney for Officer Miguel Deras has previously denied bragging about the photos. He did show them during a routine briefing, but only to ask how they should be handled and stored and did not make inappropriate comments, his attorney Jeremy Jones said.

“From my client’s recollection, he never participated in that. He showed the photos in briefing, he didn’t ‘smoke and joke’ about the photos at any time,” he said.

The probe found no evidence Deras inappropriately downloaded or electronically transferred the photos. He now works for another department in the city of Logan, Utah. Officials there could not immediately be reached for comment.

University of Utah police Chief Rodney Chatman, who is new to the role, did not name Deras specifically but said he's disappointed in the “small group” of officers who commented about the pictures around the time of a shift-change briefing, and those who did not report the comments.

“It is inexcusable for any law enforcement officer to discuss photos or information provided by a victim outside of clear and legitimate law enforcement reasons,” he said. Chatman said he would pursue action against individual officers, but he said the exact discipline will be confidential.

McCluskey's parents, Jill and Matt, criticized the university for being dishonest and failing to take responsibility for their daughter's death.

“We now call for the University of Utah to redo its incomplete and disingenuous investigation and for an independent review of the facts surrounding Lauren’s murder and the University’s failure to respond to her pleas for help,” the parents said in a statement.

McCluskey had contacted university police more than 20 times before her death to report harassment by a man she had dated, Melvin Shawn Rowland.

Her family says in a lawsuit that those reports were not taken seriously by campus police, who should have quickly discovered he was a registered sex offender on parole who had been lying to her about his name, age and history. Instead, he fatally shot her with a borrowed gun on campus and later killed himself.


MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — An attorney for one of the four former Minneapolis police officers charged in the death of George Floyd argues his client only handled crowd control.

Defense attorney Robert Paule filed a memo Wednesday supporting his earlier motion to dismiss charges against Tou Thao for lack of probable cause. The memo said Thao had his back to what was going on as Officer Derek Chauvin, who is white, pressed his knee to the neck of Floyd, a handcuffed Black man. Chauvin pressed his knee to Floyd’s neck for nearly eight minutes on May 25 even after Floyd pleaded for air.

According to the memo, Thao offered a hobble restraint to the other three officers, but they refused it. The memo also argues Chauvin was using a non-deadly, Minneapolis Police Department-approved neck restraint, and that Thao and the other three officers “had been repeatedly trained to use neck restraints.”

After the other officers refused his offer of a hobble restraint, Thao “immediately turned his attention to crowd control” and kept his back to Floyd and the other officers for the majority of the remainder of the arrest, the memo said.

“When Officer Thao turned his back to Mr. Floyd and the three other officers for the last time, Mr. Floyd was still alive and breathing,” the memo said. “Officer Thao did nothing to aid in the commission of a crime.”

Thao never placed his hands on Floyd, according to the memo, and asked about the status of an ambulance, radioing police dispatch to hurry up the response.

An attorney for another former officer, Thomas Lane, also plans to argue that charges against his client should be dismissed.

Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and manslaughter. Thao, Lane and another officer, J. Kueng, are charged with aiding and abetting both second-degree murder and manslaughter. All four officers were fired.

Their next court hearing is scheduled for Sept. 11.


Townhall Top of the Hour News
SRN News
#FarmOn Benefit Concert
Main Office: