Students soon will be heading back to school in Christian County and across Illinois parents are busy getting their children ready for the new school year. As part of School Preparedness Month during August, the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) and Christian County Emergency Management Agency encourages parents to include emergency preparedness in those back-to-school plans.
Back-to-school planning tips include:
- Know your child’s school or day care emergency plan.
- Find out where children will be taken in the event of an evacuation during school hours.
- Ensure your emergency contact information is up-to-date at your child’s school.
- Pre-authorize a friend or relative to pick up your children in an emergency and make sure the school knows who that designated person is.
- Have a family communications plan and review the plan periodically with your child. The plan should include contact information for an out-of-area family member or friend, since local telephone networks may not work during a major disaster.
Many college campuses offer email and text messages to alert students of potential dangers, such as severe weather and other threats. Encourage your college student to sign-up for such alerts. Some colleges also provide alert messages for parents so they also are aware of potential dangers at their child’s school.
Additional preparedness information is available on the Ready Illinois website at www.Ready.Illinois.gov